I taught myself guitar and wrote and performed songs in my twenties. In my thirties I learned to read music and play the violin and joined first the East London Late Starters Orchestra, a splendid organisation that still goes strong, and then CoMA (Contemporary Music for All), which enables musicians of all abilities to participate actively in contemporary music.
I started composing, and had some success.
Currently I am playing bass guitar, singing and songwriting with The Moors and Afrit Nebula in Hastings – both bands co-founded by Elaine Edwards and me (The Moors) and Elaine, Jamie Harris and me (Afrit Nebula).
- Compositions for The Moors and Afrit Nebula – see the respective sites (though Afrit Nebula's recordings are still to come).
- Four Simultaneous Movements for mixed ensemble, premiered by COMA Sussex at the opening of Brighton Library, 2006.
- Co-writer (with Alan Taylor, Ann Wolff + 2 others) of the opera To the Edge, premiered at the Steiner Theatre, London, November 2004.
- Spiral Music - incidental music for Fanny Howe's poem "Spiral", published with collages by Tom Raworth, Artery Editions, 2004.
- Text for John Tilbury piece for piano, voice & electronics: There's something in there, premiered at Leeds Town Hall, July 2003.
- Ornettology (for string quartet) - selected by SPNM for performance by the Sorrel Quartet at the Cheltenham Festival, July 1997.
- Bruised Rationals (text/music piece, for speaker and large ensemble), 1996.
- Molecule III for small mixed ensemble, 1996 (a 2013 realisation of this is here).